Adrien de Troyes planning naval strategy Adrien de Troyes planning naval strategy
New Registration Forgot Password?
Kingdom of Northshield - Ducere Ministrare Illuminare

Minutes from 02-23-02 - Fighters School

Stallari Council Meeting

February 23, 2002

Barony of Windhaven

In attendance:HSH Gaius Niklos Luctator (J.W. Walls), HE Kitakaze Tatsu Raito (Neil Gilmore) Lord Heir Northshield, HE Elashava bat Riva (Susan Gilbert) Lady Heir Northshield, THL Lewina of Sussex (Lauretta Wenger) Principality Seneschal, Lord Alasdair Calum Montgomery (Jack Welsh) Polaris Herald, Vladimir Volcovich Syehvrnielesov (Harry Kahan) Principality Earl Marshal, Lady Tatiana Marana Melville (Tonia Heng) Principality Chirurgeon, THL Moira McVey (Mary Kay Roberts) Principality Exchequer, Bana bhiocas Fina ingen A.eda (Lorine Horvath) Principality MOA&S, and Lady Ravenna ingen A.eda (Robyn Quandt) Principality Chronicler, Lord Fiskr Hamondsen (Jon Larson) Deputy Principality Seneschal.

Minutes by Baroness Marisela the Vintner, (Barb Coenen), Stallari Council Secretary.

  • Minutes- Boars Head minutes of 12/9/2002 - approved as written
  • Old Business
  • Coronet Bid
  • Report from Fiskr- there has been a cooperative agreement with some smaller groups to resolve some issues and looks like things are going okay for the Fall Coronet.
  • Revise and update policies
  • Lewina . we need to get working on our policies. I would like a deadline for suggestions on what needs to be changed. March 15th agreed deadline.
  • New Business
  • Quest update
  • Nothing to report
  • Armorgeddon preliminary bid
  • The Shire of Border Down has put in a pre-bid but not an actual bid in to become a Principality event. They want a definition what the Principality will do for them if this is a Principality event. Niklos: We need to put on Principality events. We need to work south and west of here for growth. We must make any reasonable accommodation to a group. We will assist and oversee but not run Principality events. Vlad: He suggested to them that they present to each Principality officer what they want us to help them with, but we need to define to them what their responsibilities are in running a Principality event. That is what they need help with. Fina: If they really don.t have the manpower to run it, pull in staff from around the area to assist. Niklos: There are areas within the Principality that are better organized, talk to those near to them. Vlad: We need to define their responsibilities. Fina: Now that they have a pre-bid on paper, we have a place to start negotiations.
  • Event Calendar
  • Fiskr: I am proposing that we have a regional calendar meeting once a year, not with the Principality as a whole, to coordinate the regions yearly event calendar. Suggested using a large event in that regional and using the Regional Seneschal to oversee this meeting. Fina: Principality events need to be set before these meetings. Fiskr: Tried this in South Dakota just last weekend. The approach was, .What one event do you want everyone to come to?. Niklos: Sgt. Morgana came up with the idea of sister baronies or groups to encourage this. For example: What event is Caer Anterth doing that they want to have their sister group . Border Downs, for example- attend. They would then send their sister tickets for site/feast, provide crash space, then they would have the favor returned at Border Downs event. Fiskr: This would help us pre-plan events, especially things like coronation type events that we are struggling to get bids on. With a yearly Regional meeting we could say, .Okay, in 18 months this region is scheduled to host Coronet. Who is interested in doing it? Potentially this would phase out the Deputy Seneschal for Principality Events position.
  • TSH
  • New law for Iron Watch
  • Alasdair: At the Sheriff and Constable meeting today, there was discussion on the lack of the use of the word prowess, which is presently worded using proficiency. Elashava: Chivalry finds prowess very important in their description. Niklos: When sitting on the throne prowess and profiency mean the same thing. Tatiana: People perceive profiency as a lesser level than prowess. Niklos: Discussion on the proposed X-1970 vs. current law. Alasdair: The heraldry is being left alone for now as it would take a year to get this done. Talked to Adrian de Troyes . as he is an excellent device herald - and they will get together to discuss it further. A motion was made to accept the changes to law. Approved. Niklos requested that Lewina get this pushed through Curia as it is very important to the Their Highnesses.
  • Group in Michigan wanting to join Northshield
  • Skerrstrand is located in the Upper Peninsula and has requested to become a part of Northshield. They are 4 hours from the nearest Northshield group but 7 hours to the nearest Middle Kingdom group. Tatiana: They were given a choice to become a part of Northshield when Northshield was founded. Niklos: I told them to take a vote among the people and petition the Middle Kingdom with their decision. Raito: All we can do is that tell them if they are interested we would welcome them. Niklos: I.d love to have them play in Northshield and I.d love to be known as the Prince that expanded the borders of Northshield. Consensus to tell them we.d love to have them. Lewina: Middle Kingdom says no. Niklos: I would like to know the reason why Middle Kingdom said no. I would like to motion that we do all we can to get these people into Northshield. Moved, seconded and approved. Niklos: Let.s have them vote and petition the Middle Kingdom. Let us ask the Middle Kingdom why they won.t let us do this. Moira: Have them get mailing labels from Milpitas to run an official vote. Lewina: As a recap, we have to figure out specifically which group wants to do this. Then, they need to run an official vote and in the interim we need to get a reason from the Middle Kingdom as to why they say no.
  • LLH
  • Coronet tourney (approval from MK)
  • Raito: We sent the proposed format for Coronet to Their Majesties and Their Highnesses, the Middle Kingdom Seneschal and to the Northshield Seneschal to approve the proposed ceremony and to check it against the laws. Her Excellency Rosamund (Middle Kingdom Seneschal) deleted it as she thought is was a courtesy copy. As far as he is concerned it is approved. Fina: Middle Kingdom law states that combatants must be placed in the double elimination tree randomly. Raito: There is a law like this but it specifically references the Crown list. His Majesty expressed concern about the pool format for fighting being used. He was concerned that a non-contestant participant (bye fighter) could skew the results. He also said that while he didn.t care for type of proposed tourney he also didn.t say no.
  • Ceremony (approval from MK)
  • Elashava: Hopefully by Northshield.s A&S we.ll have a draft of the ceremony. Raito: We have people helping us review it for protocol, legality, etc. and are assisting us in writing this to help with approval process.
  • Coronet alternate site
  • Raito: Quest for Camelot has been suggested as the alternate site for Coronet. This is not what he would suggest as it involves inter-kingdom competitions. He suggested Castle Fever as the alternate site. Lewina: We will have to talk to them and get their approval. Raito: It wouldn.t be fair to run this at Quest for Camelot due to the complexity of the event and the size of the group presenting it.
  • Pennsic Mayor
  • The position will be know as Quartermaster and will be filled by Captain Corydon Rathbone.
  • Raito: Lord Robert has agreed to keep up the website from last year but has said he can.t run it. Lord Robert said that he has already registered the camp name.
  • Pavilion at Pennsic
  • Fina: Suggested putting it up on the battlefield and sharing the shade with others. Niklos: Raito is checking to see if it.s going to Pennsic and whether it can be put up on the battlefield.
  • Seneschal
  • Reports on Domesday
  • Mare Amethystinum, Dark Stone and Rivenwood Tower are in suspension.
  • We.re also close to losing Rivenwood Tower. Moira: All the funds of Rivenwood Tower can be distributed to charity when they close their books. Lewina: They.re not entitled to hold events. There is a meeting for voting on the status of the group on March 1st. If they chose to disband Moira can audit the books. They can distribute their funds anywhere as long as it is to a not-for-profit group. Elashava: We need to keep these people as friends. Moira: Would like to suggest that their treasury goes to the endowment fund. If returned to the Middle Kingdom, they will hold it for two year in case they re-form the group. Lewina: Suggested to them that if they are not sure what they want to do, they should ask to become dormant rather to disband. It would prevent them from having to come back as a proto-incipient group.
  • Mare Amethystinum reported to Lewina but not to Kingdom.
  • Moira: Dark Stone disbanded after the last Domesday and their money reverted back to the college.
  • Chatelaine
  • The Chatelaine is moving and will be stepping down at Coronet. Her husband is relocating to Georgia. Lewina asked if she should put out requests for applications as we are not going to have 6 months to replace her. Elashava: Were there other applicants when she applied? Lewina: There were 3 applicants. Niklos: Contact these applicants, let them know position is open, and see if they are still interested. If yes, then we will vote on it at the next meeting.
  • Trailer
  • Has it been removed from Giovanna.s garage? Niklos: It is still in her garage. Moira: It has been written off and is no longer Principality property
  • Northshield Clerk of the Roster and the Seneschals list
  • The Seneschals list was up to date except for the recent firings. This will be forwarded to the Clerk of the Roster. With the update of the list, groups can request mailing labels. Lewina would like to suggest that Owen come up with the suggested cost of providing labels. Niklos: We need an answer on this in the next three weeks.
  • Group Status
  • There is a new full status group that is just awaiting the rubber stamp approval from the BoD. Coldernhale will be full status.
  • Vilka Uvras working toward Incipient status, please provide them support. They only have a few members. They need to get people to upgrade their memberships to reach incipient status. Niklos: I will personally give them the difference to upgrade their memberships.
  • Annual Report
  • The report deadline is March 1st-
  • Possible disbandment of Rivenwood Tower
  • If this happens a new sponsor will be needed for Bal as Loch. They are doing a super job on their newsletter. The need a couple reporting periods before considering to go incipient. Niklos: Let.s ask one of the Baronies to sponsor them.
  • Insurance forms
  • The new form were just received and will go out in the mail this coming week .
  • Talked to Rosamund regarding putting it on the webpage as a .pdf file. Came back with a no from the BoD.
  • Revise and update policies
  • Deadline to review and make suggestions on updating policies has a deadline set for March 15th.
  • Seneschal position
  • A request for applicants will be in the next issue of the Northwatch.
  • Proposed date for the transfer of office is Fall Coronet.
  • Exchequer
  • Report
  • One group is in suspension, Mare Amethystinum. They can hold business meetings but they cannot hold events. They do not know this yet. They do not have a Seneschal. Lewina: I will be talking to Rosamund on this as Lewina did receive a copy of the Domesday report it just wasn.t sent to Kingdom.
  • Domesday
  • Northshield made money this year.
  • Report includes writing off the Canadian stuff and the trailer.
  • Pavilion-
  • Moira: Asked why the pavilion is in Schattentor, as it is supposed to be in storage in Sioux Falls. Fiskr: It is currently in my garage. Fina: We were thinking of using it at coronet but we don.t have a way to get it back to Schattentor. Moira: When the pavilion needs to change sites, we need to run this through the Exchequer and Stallari before moving it. HE Tarrach will not take the Principality Coordinator position but has offered to coordinate its movement within the Northshield. It was moved, seconded and approved to remove the position of Principality Pavilion Coordinator. Fina: Tarrach does need to be put in the Northwatch for this. Moira: Suggest people should contact the exchequer who will contact Tarrach on coordination. Agreed.
  • Canada border issue
  • The loss has been written off. Tatiana explained the situation to the Heirs and the new officers. Moira: Michael of Stonehaven told them at the border crossing that he was not selling things as he was under the impression he could do it as it was within the group. When items were discovered with price tags they were seized. Moira: do we want to replace the tabard kits? Raito: The griffin on the current ones isn.t drawn right. We have registered the griffin passant. Fina: The populace badge is actually the compass rose. Raito: I have someone working on a new silk screen of the griffin in the correct position.
  • Fund raiser position
  • Catalina is stepping down. When she steps down there will be no fundraiser. Would like to see the position changed from running raffles etc to grant writing etc. Working on a pamphlet to mail to paid members of Northshield to ask them to go out and seek get matching donations where available. Wants help on mailing cost. Moved, seconded and approved to give Moira money to mail this pamphlet. She will cover the printing costs.
  • Information office
  • When Mistress Dore held this position for the Middle Kingdom, she got every call on events. Would like to change the name of this position to Publications office. Agreed. Moira volunteered to take this position once she steps down. She would like the Stallari to consider this her application. Moved, seconded and approved to change the name of the Information Office to the Publications Office.
  • Exchequer Applicant
  • We now have one application even though she has been begging for applications. Moved, seconded and approved to accept the application of Gweniver Kenwyn of Roseveth (Jennifer McNitt) as the next Principality Exchequer.
  • Changeover to take place at Coronet.
  • Chronicler
  • Report-
  • Stepping down in Nordliegh on April 20th.
  • Domesday
  • Complete, sent in and accepted
  • Annual report
  • The deadline to get the report in is March 1st. Would like do this as an insert into the Northwatch rather than separate issue as it will save money. The first ounce of mailing is the most expensive. Niklos: I want this as a separate issue. Lewina: We did vote this to make it a 13th issue. Vlad: What needs to be in this report? Lewina: Ask your previous officer to assist you. We need to know what is spent, the current status of the office and what you have done since you took it over.
  • Lewina: Are we going to do a Laws and Policy issue separate from Northwatch? Agreed to let this continue as a Kingdom publication.
  • Webminister
  • General Discussion on website.
  • MoAS
  • A&S Domesday
  • Very concerned about one baronies reporting history. They don.t report on a regular basis.
  • Every other group either doesn.t have this position or has reported.
  • A & S hosted by Windhaven April 6th
  • Northshield Calendar
  • Quest didn.t make it into Northwatch. Niklos: All offices should have a deadline. Motion to change the name of the office to the Northshield Calendar Secretary and put a deadline on the office. Approved. Deadline will be 12th night.
  • Northstar
  • No funds come out of the Principality budget for this and it is not a sanctioned publication, therefore not an official office.
  • Marshal
  • Report
  • What is the Council really interested seeing regarding my office? Niklos: Are our fighters being safe? Are they playing nice and having a good time? Is everyone getting equal recognition? Alasdair: Also, do they have any concerns?
  • Discussion about whether a group with an MIT has to make that person its marshal over someone without the MIT.
  • Information availability
  • Can.t get information from the Midrealm database regarding the fighters within the Northshield Toki is getting into the database but Vlad can.t. He is setting up a database for Northshield fighters to be used by us.
  • Herald
  • Report
  • Four groups were briefly in abeyance but this has been taken care of.
  • Comments from Society Laurel
  • Pleased with the steps we have been taking towards Kingdom but feels the these need to get done.
  • Get awards in order
  • Wants to see us commenting to laurel. This process have already been started
  • Children.s award
  • Received email from Lord Gevehard (KEG) regarding Children.s award. The name proposed . The Rising Star . is currently used by Caer Anterth Mawr. A new award is in process. The current Heirs have asked it to be written as a general award.
  • Presentation of Viscounties
  • The Crown doesn.t have the right to present it. It.s supposed to be recognized by the Coronet and per Coronet. Raito: We have come up with a compromise for the next Coronet and His Highness Valharic will be doing it. This will transition the change from the Crown doing the presentation to the Coronet doing it.
  • Badge for Persephone.s Circle
  • This is still being worked on. It is still on the webpage. It is a registered device. Lady Moraig is interested in the device if we release it.
  • Chirurgeon
  • Report
  • The report forms are now online for event reporting. This is the short form. Also available is the apprentice evaluation form.
  • Application
  • This position is available. If no qualified applicants come forward, we do have someone who will throw their hat in.
  • Other business
  • The Council Secretary position is open. Fiskr will be acting as the interim secretary.
  • Next Meeting
  • An announcement will be made on the list. It will probably be at some small event in Minnesota.

Posted by: Marisela the Vintner Council Secretary on 2/23/2002