August 2009 Northwatch Missive
Unto Our Northshield Family come fond greetings from Siegfried & Elizabeth,
By the time this missive reaches you, the Northshield troops stationed at Griffin’s Gate will be making their final preparations to engage the Tiger upon the fields and in the woods of the Pennsic Wars. Thanks to all who have supported the Northshield troops by readying them for the battles to come.
Fall Crown Tournament:
By custom and law, the Prince and Princess of Northshield must devise and hold a tournament to decide Their Heirs. Accordingly, Our Crown Tournament will be held in the Barony of Windhaven on October 10, 2009. The format is as follows:
- Opponents will challenge in to seed the tree. Combatants will draw lots to determine if they are challengers or challengees. Challengers’ tokens will be numbered to determine the order in which the challenges are to be made.
- Each round will be best 2 of 3. The semi-finals will be best 2 of 3, 2 out of 3 times, with the combatants from the winner’s tree having to win one set of the 2 of 3; the combatant from the loser’s tree must win two sets of the 2 of 3s. The finals will be simply best 2 of 3.
- For each round the weapon styles will be divided into two classifications, One-Handed Weapons and Two- Handed Weapons. One-Handed wea-pons include Weapon and Shield, Two Weapon (including two-sword, sword and 6' spear/great axe/etc.) and Single HandedWeapon (ex, single sword). Two handed weapons include Bastard Swords, Great Swords, Pole Arms, 6' Spears used with two hands.
- In each round the Combatant who is junior in precedence will decide which weapons classification will be used in the first fight; the senior in precedence will decide the classification for the second fight. If the third fight is necessary, each combatant will bring out whatever weapon style they like, provided it conforms to the Tournaments weapon restrictions.
- No weapons of war, meaning: No weapon may exceed 6 feet in length. No back-up weapons will be allowed. Shields will be only so tall that the owner can comfortably stand over it and shall be no wider than the distance from the top of the shoulder to the tip of the finger of the owner.
Letters of Intent. We would ask that letters of intent be sent to Us and to the Kingdom Seneschal, no later than the occasion of Fall Coronation, prior to evening Court, or post marked that day. The remainder of the documentation requirements—Proof of Membership, Proof of Authorization, and Proof of access to the Northwatch—will be confirmed at Crown by the appropriate officer. Along with your letter, please include Proof of Age, all relevant Contact Information (address, phone, & email at least), as well as cursory account of your Activity Level for the past year.
Additional Requirements for Entry. We would also require that either the combatant or consort have prior experience in a reporting office. This would include being an officer at any level from local up to Kingdom; Autocrat or Event Steward; Marshals; and Heralds of the field. Please feel free to contact Us for any necessary clarification.
Appearance Requirements. We would ask that combatants refrain from wearing modern athletic footwear unless it is reasonably covered. We would also ask that you make a reasonable attempt to cover any armor blatantly appearing to be made of non-period materials, such as plastic. Please cover modern sports logos/printing on any equipment.
Armour Inspections. Armour inspec-tions will take place the evening before and in the morning of the Tournament. Fighters are encouraged to take advantage of the Friday night inspections if at all possible.
We look forward to seeing the best displays of prowess and pageantry that Northshield has to offer.
For the remainder of Our time as Heirs, We hope to give the Kingdom some real-time access to certain notable affairs of state, such as Pennsic battle results and auspicious court happenings. If you are of the Twitter-inclined please feel free to follow Us at http://twitter.com/TRHNorthshield
Our thanks to those who have offered words of support and kind thoughts on Our time as Heirs and on Our recent nuptials.
In Service to Northshield,
Siegfried and Elizabeth
Siegfried III and Elizabeth I
Their Royal Highnesses
Other missives from the
Their Royal Highnesses
This site is ©
Kingdom of Northshield. Original contributors retain the copyright of certain portions of this site.